THE PICKLED FIG, Fremantle
by JENNY D’ANGER:
As any writer with an ounce of romance in their heart will tell you there’s nowhere better on a cold, grey day than a windswept beach, rugged up in a woollen jumper, a long scarf and a fetching beanie.
Grab a friendly dog—preferably your own—and it’s just about picture-perfect. All you need is a stick to throw.
And after your skin has achieved that perfect blend of rosy red glow and tingling blue, shiver yourself into The Pickled Fig to get toasty warm.
Wrap your hands around a cup of your favourite hot brew and, while they come back to life, check out the menu for some brilliant winter warmers.
Because as well as the incredible views (it’s even beautiful in silvery grey) The Fig has amazing food all through winter, fresh and healthy juices, the best coffee in town and desserts that run the risk of putting you in a diabetic coma.
And yes, The Fig continues to run its awesome program, including:
• Chocolate Lovers’ Night: Every Wednesday master chocolatier deZaantm Gourmet offers a journey of seduction, with everything from gooey chocolate pudding to chocolate dessert platters (free with every main meal and Facebook check-in).
• Vego Night: Every Thursday those who prefer all things vegetable are guaranteed awesome dishes that are light years away from lettuce and beans. Also a great night for committed carnivores to get in touch with their inner-vegetable and learn there’s much more to food than char-grilled cow. Enjoy the spiritual sounds of live sitar with Scott Mitchell.
• Pickled High Tea: Yeah, it’s a girl thing. The old tearoom tradition is shaken out like a dusty doily and freshened up for the 21st century. We’re talking Long Island Ice Tea, savouries and cakes—a perfect recipe for some serious nattering. Daily from 3–6pm and bookings essential (15 or more and there’s a free bottle of bubbly).
• The Fig Caffeine Society: Anyone serious about coffee joins the FCS, a collective of beanbuffs and latteunatics. See in-cafe for details on joining Fremantle’s most select not-so-secret society.
• Live Music: Friday nights—cool, soulful and groovy.
What, you’re still reading? Dig out that woolly jumper and get yourself down to South Beach, pronto. Don’t forget the dog.
The Pickled Fig