Easter  warning for  pet owners

With Easter approaching, the much loved treat of chocolate could be filling your home, and while there may be some health benefits for humans, chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats. It’s more commonly encountered in dogs, rather than cats, who are less prone to eating chocolate as they don’t have a sweet tooth. Chocolate is toxic to pets because it contains a substance called Theobromine, which cats and dogs struggle to metabolise.

The severity of symptoms is based on the amount of chocolate your pet ate, the type of chocolate and the weight of your pet. They vary from mild gastrointestinal upsets (vomiting and diarrhoea), to muscle tremors and excitability, changes to heart rate, overheating, seizures, and in severe cases, coma and death.

You can avoid this potentially life threatening problem by placing chocolates well out of your pet’s way and letting your children know that chocolate isn’t good for dogs and cats. If your pet has eaten chocolate, please contact Sage Vets on 6166 6329 immediately for further advice.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s