KARDINYA Park Shopping Centre is set to get a $100 million expansion, with owner Con Berbatis capitalising on the collapse of plans to double Garden City.
Expansion plans include new shops, improved dining and entertainment facilities, and mixed-use amenities.
Centre owner Con Berbatis says he had submitted a development application with Melville Council, and and if all goes well he expects to start expansion works in the middle of next year.
Mr Berbatis added that four builders were bidding for the contract and he hoped to select a preferred contractor in the next two weeks.
“There’s a high demand in this area for new types of jobs,” Dr Berbatis said.
“We’re hurrying on to fill in the gap that Booragoon have provided.”
On November 21 there will be a community drop in session outside K-Mart at the Kardinya Shopping Centre to discuss the expansion.
“We need to pay attention to the community,” Dr Berbatis says.
AMP Capital put its $750 million reboot of Garden City on ice earlier this year as the parent company suffered a massive share price plunge and tried to offload its legacy insurance arm.
A Melville council report from 2014 noted that if that expansion had gone ahead, the viability of nearby centres such as Bullcreek and Kardinya would have been significantly impacted.
by SOFIA PAUL