Art house blaze

THE Atwell House Art Centre had a lucky escape recently when early-morning walkers noticed a fire engulfing its rear verandah and called the fire brigade before the historic building suffered major damage.

Centre co-ordinator Chris Marshall told the Herald the fire was probably started by a carelessly discarded cigarette, and had just got into the timber roof beams when fireys arrived and put it out.

Ms Marshall says despite losing power and access to the inside toilet, members of a senior’s painting class weren’t discouraged and simply held their session outside on the day of the fire and used the old-style backyard dunny.

• Atwell Arts Centre volunteer Brigitta Nowland with a work by tutor Lindsay Pow.

Atwell House was was well known as Henry Atwell’s dairy, while he was also well regarded as a horse breeder and prominent member of the WA Hunt Club.

Repairs are being carried out by Melville council, which owns the building, but meanwhile the gallery’s showing off the work of its tutors.

Talented Teachers features the work of most of the centre’s tutors, plus musings on their teaching philosophy and some examples of their students’ work. It’s open until tomorrow, Sunday March 26.

by STEVE GRANT

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s